CREATIVE INSTIGATORS – THE CALL OUT
Bradford Producing Hub (BPH) is seeking to appoint two Creative Instigators to help drive forward the BPH vision, create strong connections with the sector and help to develop new ways of working.
Who are we looking for? We believe the Creative Instigator roles will be suited to artists living or working in Bradford from any live performance discipline, with a commitment to socially engaged and collaborative practice and a tendency for disrupting the status quo. The roles will initially be offered on a freelance 6-month pilot contract, for 2 days per week.
What is the fee?
£150 per day to include travel to/from Bradford city centre (other travel and expenses will be paid in agreement with the Commissioning Producer and consortium).
This is a freelance engagement and Creative Instigators will be responsible for payment of their own tax and national insurance payments.
Still have questions? Pop in for a chat on 12 November at Bread and Roses, Bradford, between 10:30 and 14:30, or contact Lisa Mallaghan through email to arrange a phone chat or Skype, email@example.com (temporary email address)
Interested in Applying? Keep Reading!
HOW TO APPLY
We are happy to receive applications:
- Written (please keep to a maximum of 2 pages of A4, plus a CV)
- Video (No more than 5 mins – a talking head recorded on a smartphone camera is fine)
- Audio (as above)
You are welcome to send further information, up to 4 examples of your work. This could be images, reviews, links to video trailers, audience feedback, or anything that demonstrates you and your practice.
We encourage applications from people who identify from backgrounds and experiences currently underrepresented in the arts (including, but not limited to: BAME, people with a disability or life limiting condition, working class, LGBT+).
Please send your completed application FAO Lisa Mallaghan
by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or post: Theatre in the Mill,
Off Shearbridge Road,
University of Bradford
Deadline: Monday 25 November at 10am
Role Creative Instigator
Type Freelance contract
Length 6-month contract (with possible extension). 2-days per week, flexible.
Rate £150 per day, plus reasonable expenses. Responsible for payment of own tax and national insurance payments.
Reporting to: The Commissioning Producer on a day-to-day basis and ultimately the consortium.
Bradford Producing Hub seeks to put artists at the centre of all our activities, vision and decision-making. We want to ensure we are in constant dialogue with the sector and understand the challenges and trends artists in Bradford are experiencing. We will respond accordingly and quickly, to create and signpost people to new opportunities.
Creative Instigators will bring passion, ambition and creativity to help set the priorities of BPH and how it can transform opportunities for making live performance in Bradford. They are passionate about our city and well-connected in the sector. They understand the reality of being an independent artist/unfunded company and are keen to find ways to better support everyone making live performance here.
Requiring a high degree of autonomy, independent working, and responsiveness to opportunities – the role will be defined by your practice and led and delivered in a way that only you could.
You will be excited about collaborating with artists, communities, influencers and community organisers to find creative ways to make sure everyone’s voice is heard. At the same time, you will be an advisor and critical friend to the consortium and project team; helping us make sure we seize every opportunity to innovative, affect change and do not fall back on the usual ways of doing things.
The responsibilities of each Creative Instigator will be broad and varied – we know that the passion, knowledge, creativity and care of artists in Bradford will be central to achieving significant change – and the Creative Instigators will help us harness this.
This first phase of BPH will be a significant programme of consultation with artists, audiences, communities and stakeholders which will lay the foundations for delivering a project that responds directly to the needs identified. You will be vital to this process; proactively seeking out and making connections with a range of people to devise and undertake creative interventions, workshops and conversations that will directly inform plans.
- Talent Development Consultation: Actively developing meaningful dialogue with aspiring and practicing artists in Bradford to gain a real depth of understanding around ambition, development needs, and gaps in provision.
- Bradford Pools: Supporting artists, companies, community groups, changemakers and experts to deliver a series of creative events that bring together groups of people to ‘Pool’ their experience, resources and ambitions for Bradford. Working with each Pool to maximise the potential of these events, support reach and planning – and where appropriate delivery and facilitation.
- Cultural Mapping: Mapping the breadth of artists and creative organisations making work in Bradford to help develop new collaborations, share resources and pursue opportunities together.
- Creativity Council: Recruitment and support for the Creativity Council – the vital steering group for the project, made up of passionate live performance advocates who will help steer the vision and make decisions about the outputs and activities of BPH.
- Artist Play Days: Devise and deliver the first ‘Artist Play Days’ which will provide the space and resources for groups of artists to come together to share process and experiment together without the pressure or expectation of any kind of output.
- Support and Signposting: Continual signposting to opportunities and programmes within BPH and the wider sector. Providing a supportive, thoughtful, peer voice and utilising their experience to help artists pursue opportunities.
- Creative Evaluation, Documentation and Sharing: Working with the team to embed accessible creative evaluation and documentation throughout this initial consultation period. Devising creating and accessible methods for sharing findings.
The Creative Instigators will also be expected to:
- Work within approved budgets and maintain appropriate records
- Participate in planning, reflection and evaluation
- Undertake any other duties as reasonably requested by the Commissioning Producer or the consortium
Skills & Experience
|Skills / experience|
|Attitude / understanding|